Translate

Friday, July 13, 2012

The First Big Harvest

So I am now 2 1/2 months into the Fischbek Garden Project and I had my 1st big harvest this week. As you can see from the photo there was a lot to harvest not to mention it was extremely heavy carrying all this produce home. It had been a little longer than usual since my last visit about 4-5 days since actually, so I was pleasantly surprised to find I had 2 Cucumbers ready to harvest. I also had 3 Zucchinis. Speaking of Zucchini, if you remember I bought 2 “jungpflanze” Zucchini since the owners only planted about 1 per plot. Funny thing now is, the one they planted by seed is now 3x as big as the ones I bought and it has more fruit. Though the 2 I bought are doing ok I am still a bit disappointed how little they have grown. The Spitzkohl was ready to harvest the last time I visited, but I wasn’t ready to harvest just yet. This time however I wanted to harvest a couple. I noticed that it looked as if some bugs were eating the outer leaves so I decided to take those first. Also to my surprise I found some nasty worms at the core of a couple of them. I really hope the others will be ok but meanwhile I will look into some natural ways of making sure they destroy my next crop. The peas are coming along nicely and I was able to harvest some of those as well. We have had some pretty strong storms lately and unfortunately I think the storms did some damage to the Peas and Corn. Some of the Corn and Pea plants were toppled over. I added some poles to these for added strength and hopefully they will be ok now.
Everything else is growing just as fast. I am really hopping the Melon and Eggplant start producing some fruit soon as well as the Green Beans. I still have some free places in the garden and will be thinking of my next round. My last visit to Sannmann about a 2 weeks ago was ok, however they did not have much to choose from. The summer plants should already be planted and it’s about time to start planting the veggies you want for fall.
Well I’m off to the beaches of Denmark for a few days but the weather in Hamburg will have some rain and hopefully some warm temps so the plants should be ok till I get back. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment